Friday, June 08, 2007

Seoul Searching

Hey people..... here is my blog entry for my Korea trip that I took last week.... I don't think I will be writing the details here; just the highlights of the trip.

Oh, if you want to see pictures, go to http://picasaweb.google.com/stev4n.

I went to Korea with my good friend Mega.... I've known her since my uni days. We used to be classmates and were both jobless for quite some time after we graduated haha. But now she has been working for almost 5 years in Flextronics, one of the main players in the electronics manufacturing industry. Hmm... time flies really fast....

Anyways, during the whole trip we had a personal tour guide.... Jin! He's Korean, and I get to know him when I was in Beijing, 1st semester. He was the class leader, and we also became roommates during the one week travel that the school organized.
Now, I really need to write this down..... THANK YOU, JIN!! During the time we were there, you have been a perfect tour guide..... picking us up from the airport (and driving us back there), taking us to places, bargaining, taking photos, and much much more....
And he even bought us gifts (which you really shouldn't have to).

In Korea, we spent most of the time in Seoul, but we also managed to visit Busan, which is a port city, and is the 2nd largest city in Korea. However, you can really see the difference..... since almost 25% of the population live in Seoul, it is really big and more developed compared to Busan. Having said that, Busan is definitely worth visiting, especially if you like fresh seafood haha.
We also took a half day tour to DMZ (the border between South and North Korea), and it is really interesting and definitely an eye-opening experience. I didn't really know what was going on there before, but now I know much more.
In Seoul itself, we visited quite a few places.... and bought some things as well haha. The good things about Seoul: Korean food (LOVE IT!!), accessories (girls, you can go mad there....), and nice weather (well, at least it was good when I was there).
The downside: Majority of the people there are not fluent in English (thanks Jin! :), and the living standard is about twice of Singapore. I guess it's ok if you work there, but compared to Singapore, everything is about twice as expensive there. Oh, and the shopping malls are nothing compared to here (one of the few things that I love about Singapore ahahhaaha).

So now I'm back in the office (well, have been back since yesterday), and back to reality. Busy time is not here yet.... will only start to get busy after 15th... so will try to enjoy what I have while I can haha.

No comments: