Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Decisions, decisions....

Something big is coming my way, and it’s making me crazy. Where should I begin? Hmmm…. let me start by introducing the characters. The first link in the story is Mr. Cesar Gil. He’s originally from Spain, and is a Regional Project Implementation Manager, and he sits next to me in the office. He has a Spanish friend, who is working in another department, named Xavier Morera. Xavier is a Regional Account Manager for Consumer & Retail customers. He likes to come down to our side of the building to gossip with Cesar, and sometimes we have lunch together. I was never really close to him… I mean, I’ve only talked to him probably 4 or 5 times so far.

Anyway, last Friday suddenly he called me in the morning, and said that he wanted to talk to me. I said OK, although not knowing what he wanted to talk to me about. I thought it would be something related to my work. So he came over and gave me the big news. Basically, there is a position in DHL Jakarta that needs to be urgently filled because the previous person just quit the company. What they are looking for is actually an Indonesian with a Master’s Degree who can speak Bahasa, English, and Mandarin. So, apparently, I am the perfect candidate for the job. The position is to become an Account Manager, handling one of our key customer there : Huawei Technologies (a China company that produces telecommunication stuff).

We haven’t talked about the package just yet, but even before that, now I’m confused of whether or not I should even be considering this. There are just too many factors involved, and it’s going to be a big change. First of all, it’s going to be in Jakarta. I’ve never actually lived in Jakarta before, so I don’t really know what to expect. But people keep on reminding me of the bad things: the dirtiness, the crazy traffic, the sense of insecurity…. On the other hand, it’s going to be a big career jump for me.
Then there’s also the thing about leaving Singapore. Do I just give everything up here and go? I’ve just started here! I’ve just got through my so called probation period.
I also have a feeling of betrayal to my current boss, Lily. I mean, if I go, she’s gonna have to find a replacement, and it’s not going to be easy with her being in Sydney physically. And then she would have to teach the new guy everything again (well maybe I can help her with that, but you get the point…)

So, you see now that even tough nothing’s confirmed yet, I’m already starting to panic. Aaarrrrgghhh…..

Right now I’m just going to try to forget about everything work-related and enjoy my vacation to Korea =D
Will be back next week (Jun 7), so see you guys then….

No comments: