Monday, May 14, 2007

The secret formula

I've finally found the perfect formula for a bad gym experience...... yes, bad.....

**Bad music + Lousy intructor + Disappointing facility = Bad gym experience**

Today I was supposed to work out with a personal trainer because when I joined the gym they give me 2 free sessions. I don't really need them..... I mean, I'm not exactly a beginner, and most of the trainers are lousy anyway (including this one..... his name is Ramli, a big (as in muscular) malay guy..... quite old, 40+, I think).
Anyway, he texted me early in the morning saying that he can't make it today and have to reschedule to tomorrow. I'm fine with that, because anyway I'm still quite tired from Saturday's BodyCombat and yesterday's bowling session. But after work I decided to go to the gym anyway cos I don't really know what to do if I go home straight from the office.

And so I checked out the class schedule, and there is a RPM (cycling) class at 6.45pm. I didn't know who the instuctor would be.... and so the complaining begins

First of all..... the music was really really bad..... maybe some people like it, but it's just not my cup of tea..... it's a really bad remix of some good songs (Hey Baby - No Doubt, What's Going On - 4 Non Blondes, and some other songs that I don't know).

Second.... the instructor.... hmmm where should I begin? He's Indian (no offense, but I just can't get what he's saying). I don't know whether it's because of the structure of the room/building or it's just him, but somehow his voice just doesn't stand out from the music. Plus his teaching/people skills are not great (well, ok... bad). Most of the time it sounds like he's ordering the people around. Moreover he's as breathless as we are, and so most of his sentences are monosyllabic. Want more bad stuff? He has no sense of rhythm and he's not familiar with the songs, so he was always ahead by 1 beat.

Third.... the facility..... this cycling studio is not the "cosmic" (glow in the dark) kind (the ones at Melbourne and Paragon are)..... maybe it's just me, but I'm quite used to having a cycling class in the dark and not as bright as today..... so it didn't really feel like RPM class..... just cycling with really bad music.

Overall..... very bad. I'm starting to not like this branch more and more (the maind studio is just as bad, and the instructors too). I think I will go to Paragon more often, eventough it's further and they don't provide workout attire.

No comments: