Thursday, September 13, 2007

Not as easy as you think

I'm not sure why but I always have the inspiration to write a post whenever I am in a cycling class at the gym. Haha...

Anyway, today I want to talk about being a group fitness instructor. As you may have known, I am a faithful follower of the Les Mills exercise classes since I joined Fitness First back in 2004. And I've encountered many different instructors... some are good, some are not so good.
Yesterday I was reminded that in order to be a good instructor, it's not as easy as it seems. In my opinion, the requirements are:
1. Reasonably fit body - well, you have to be an inspiration to the students. Nobody will want to be in your class if you look like 2007 Britney Spears (sorry, it was just too easy hee hee)

2. Strength and stamina - if the instructor uses a 2 kg weight and the student uses a 5 kg, isn't that going to be embarassing? At least you have to use above average weights/load. And you also need to give out instructions while you are doing it. So you can't do it if you're breathless...

3. Standout voice - some of the instructors I encountered before just doesn't seem to be able to stand out from the music, so that's bad, cos you can't hear the instructions

4. Good sense of rhythm - since all movement are based on the music, so you have to be able to feel the music and let the beat guide the movements.

5. Good memory - also, you need to know when the music is going to change, which movement goes with which song.... and that's not easy, cos every quarter they release a new set of songs, and you can't possibly have the same songs in every class.

6. Outgoing and friendly personality - Well, this is just the icing on the cake... the one that separates the good ones and the great ones.

So, that's it. The 6 requirements to be a great group fitness instructor, according to Stefan. Amen. Haha.

No comments: