Thursday, January 04, 2007

Oops... I did it again!

(this is the 2nd part of a 2 part blog. it would be more interesting if you read the 1st part first haha)

When I was checking in to my flight, the guy in the counter explained to me that the situation is that the flight is overbooked and they were looking for 12 people to volunteer to stay back for 1 more day. And I think to myself.... well, I'm not in a hurry to go back... 1 more day of NY? Why not?
And... the most exciting thing is the perks that I get.... firstly, of course, they arranged accomodation for me at the Marriott airport hotel, with allowances for 3 meals :) Then I had some decisions to make.

First, I can either get a US$400 in cash or US$600 in Singapore Airlines voucher, which can be used for my next SIA purchase, valid for 1 year. Since I consider myself to travel quite a lot, I decided to get the voucher.

Second, for today's flight, I can either be on the same flight from Newark-Singapore non stop on economy class, and they will give me a voucher to upgrade my next flight to Raffless (business) class. Or the other choice is to fly from JFK, transitting in Frankfurt, then to Singapore, and use that upgrade voucher. I choose the latter, so here I am.... about to fly business class from New York-Frankfurt-Singapore. Yay!!!

So this morning I wake up quite late, ordered a full breakfast (2 eggs, hashbrown, bacon, muffin, juice, and tea) on room service, and just laze around till about 9. Then I decided to go to Manhattan (again.... I mean, what else is there to do?). But just as I was about to leave, guess what's on TV? It's "The Producers", the movie, and it just started. What a coincidence. So I watched it for a bit. But I really think that the Broadway musical is much better than the movie. There were a lot of big name stars in the movie (Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick as the 2 main characters, Roger Bart as the Carmengia (the gay character), Uma Thurman as Ulla, and... Will Ferrel as the German guy. They are big movie stars, all right, but they don't sing and dance as well as the broadway stars. So I didn't watch until the very end.

Then.... back on the shuttle bus to Manhattan. Once I arrive there, I didn't really know what to do, so I decided to go to Macy's once again since I can get a 11% discount. Oh yeah, great tip : if you ever plan on buying anything on any Macy's in the US, go to the customer service counter and you can get a "international savings card", 11% discount on top of any discount for everything except cosmetics, perfume and jewellery.
But when I was there I guess I have reached my shopping limit. I didn't really have any desire to browse and try things on. So I just walked around aimlessly in Manhattan, enjoying the environment. Then I went back to the hotel, took a nap, and then jumped on the minivan that picked me up to go to JFK airport.

The journey to JFK was quite a long one.... 1 hour plus. On the way here I get to see a part of NY that I've never seen..... Brooklyn. It was very different from Manhattan.... Brooklyn is more.... dark.... and dirty. It was just like in the movies. No wonder they say that Sex and The City didn't portray New York very well... it's all in Manhattan!

Then now I am in the lounge.... very nice lounge indeed. They have everything here.... cookies, chips, fruits, real hot food (fish, meatball, potatoes), and drinks..... Evian, fruit juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and alcohol. Yes, alcohol... beer, wines, and spirits. Uncle would be very happy here hahaha.

OK then, I guess that is long enough. I'll tell you all about business class experience later. I'm gonna grab some bananas now haha.

No comments: